IMO stands for In My Opinion. IMO is an internet slang initialism used to signal that the writer is expressing an opinion.
How Is IMO Used? Use Cases & Examples
IMO is an acronym often used in social media and chat to save time and space in posts. It is used to express your personal opinion on an issue, especially if it differs from popular opinion. Anyone can use it formally or informally. An internet slang term similar to IMO is “IMHO” which means “In My Humble Opinion”. They both mean the same thing.
Examples of how your teen might use the slang term IMO:
- IMO, the new Call of Duty isn’t very good.
- It looks better with the blue jacket instead of the green, IMO.
- IMO, this pastry tastes better with honey, rather than sugar.
- This is the best camera money can buy, IMO.
How to Identify If Your Kids Are Using the IMO Slang Word
If you see your kids chatting using IMO, you can rest assured. But other teenage slang can be harmful, so as a parent you need to pay attention to the slang words used by teens. Here are two effective ways to identify the IMO slang term:
1. Check Their Phones Directly for the IMO Slang Word
Check your teens’ phones directly to see if they’ve used the IMO slang word. Items to check include SMS, search history, and chat messages on WhatsApp, Line, Facebook, Skype, etc.
- Affect your relationship with your kids
- Can’t detect dangers timely
- No need to install any app
2. Install A Parental Control App to Monitor the IMO Slang Word
All you need to do is install a well-designed parental control app on your teens’ phones. It lets you track your kids’ online activities to detect slang words like IMO. You can set specific keywords that you think are inappropriate, and you will be alerted whenever those keywords are triggered. Through this app, you can detect potential dangers and deal with online threats before your kids regret it.
- More features like chat monitoring, GPS tracking, call recording, surrounding recording, etc
- Instant alerts
- Easy to install and use
- Some apps are not free
Parental Control Apps to Detect the IMO Slang Word
- Google Family link:
It is a family parental control service from Google that helps you check search history for the IMO slang word, restrict content, set screen time, and more.
iKeyMonitor is one of the most powerful parental control apps. It monitors SMS, chat messages, and searched terms on kids’ phones. It will take screenshots/photos and send instant alerts to you on triggered alert words such as IMO. Besides, it will record calls, surroundings and block inappropriate apps to protect your kids from threats.
- Apple Screen Time:
With Apple’s built-in parental control setting, you can manage app limits, set content restrictions, and more. Just unlock the iPhone or iPad, then go to Settings and tap on Screen Time.
- Norton Family Parental Control:
Norton Family provides insights that help you foster a healthy online/offline balance for your children and their devices.
- Kaspersky Safe Kids with GPS:
Kaspersky Safe Kids is a popular parental control app that provides web monitoring, app blocking, filtering, and more.
- Alertbird Parental Control:
Alertbird is a parental control app for iOS that monitors the IMO slang term and other dangerous words. You will be notified immediately if it detects alert keywords in your searched terms and chat messages, such as the IMO slang word.
Tips to Talk With Your Kids About the Use of the IMO Slang Word
Using the slang term IMO shows that your children have the courage to express themselves when texting friends. Confidence is a great quality to have in children, especially in the teenage years when many children are their own worst critics. Here are some ways to talk to your kids about confidence:
- Some say that using IMO will weaken your arguments in online debates. What do you think?
- Do you feel proud when your friends ask for your opinion?
- How would you react if someone made fun of your opinion in a group chat?