Top 3 Cyber Safety Tips for Children and Teens
Today, every parent should be aware of various cyber safety tips for keeping their child safe digitally. Keeping kids safe online is a daunting task, especially when most of the teens have smartphones and are digitally active. It becomes essential that you guide kids to stay safe online. You can try out these tips for keeping children safe and secure. Teaching kids to remain safe online isn’t an easy thing to do, but by using these safety tips and later having a proper conversation with your child you can surely keep them safe.
Why Cyber Safety Tips Are Important for Kids?
Firstly, you should always open conversation with your kids about the dangers of the Internet. Usually, the dangers are related to social media, sexting, and online predators, so you have to make them understand about all these dangers. Parents are the one who can better prepare children for the dangers of online activity so there are certain cyber safety tips that every parent should know. Kids especially teens need to know that everything that put online can be accessed by others, and later that can be misused. Here are some of the reasons due to which cyber safety is so essential:
- It is very easy for a child to save a picture or video on the online platforms and then share it. It creates an opportunity for others to misuse those saved pictures of your child.
- The predators and cyberbullies take advantage of the child. They may harass the child and force them to do something foul.
- Setting strict security parameters is a good way to monitor online activity but always invading the privacy of your child is also not right. They will start to keep things secret from you.
What Are the Cyber Safety Tips that Parents Must Know?
As a parent, you can have an open dialogue with your children and set expectations for their Internet use. Mention to your kids that these guidelines are meant to keep them safe and it is also necessary that you explain to them that these Internet safety rules are meant for enhancing their experience of the Internet. Only if they follow the rules properly, they can fully enjoy their time spent using apps, streaming movies or connecting with friends. These are some of the essential tips:
Have Open Communication
It may sound difficult, but the best tip is that you can open conversation with the kids related to online predators and sexual exploitation, for keeping them safe. Before a child is allowed to have smartphones, parents should tell them about the dangers of online predators and cyberbullying and also mention the rules that need to follow.
Set Privacy Settings
If your child is still a minor then you must check those security settings are in place. Parents should monitor their child’s social media activity on various platforms. That will make you aware of all the posts that they create over time.
Keep a check on Live Streaming
You should keep a check on the live streaming and so you need to choose a screen name which will hide the identity of your child. You should keep the name generic and also try to make the profile picture for your child’s account generic as well.
How to Detect that Cyber Safety Tips are Followed Properly?
It’s hard to detect that your kids are following the rules that you have set. To detect that you have to take various steps. You have to first ensure that there are listening to your rules and sharing everything with you. Here are some more things that parents can to detect the activities of the child:
- There are tools, like iKeyMonitor that are available to parents to help them keep track of the child’s location, block popular apps on their device when you find anything inappropriate in it. You can schedule screen time and also check out their activities remotely.
- You can check the phone of the child directly but that can create secrecy breach for them and they will always hesitate to give you their phone. Often this way of detecting kids may not be successful so the best way is to install a spy app on the device of the child and check their phone for any suspicious activity.
- You have to check that your child always follows the rules. Few social networking sites require a minimum age for use. These guidelines are meant to keep your kids safe online. Thus, these are cyber safety tips for parents that they should know.
Cyber Safety Tips for Children and Teens
A parental control app like iKeyMonitor is helpful for parents who want to easily detect the activities of the child. Thus, you can prefer to install one of the famous parental control apps and easily keep a check on their activities. Here are some of the characteristics of iKeyMonitor:
- You can manage your child’s screen time and remain well-informed about the apps that they are using on your device.
- It enables you to easily get into the social media account of your kids and also find out what they are downloading and using each day.
- Besides that, it allows you to block inappropriate or unwanted apps and also find out how much time your kids are spending using specific apps and whether they are following the tips properly or not.
Above everything, at least parents must be aware of the cyber safety tips. If these tips are followed properly then that would keep the child safe online. Some activities of the child and potentially harm them so if a continuous check is kept on them then it becomes very easy to keep them safe. So, if you want to keep your child away from digital hazards then you should install parental control software, like iKeyMonitor on their device. With the help of its extensive features, you can block suspicious apps that are already downloaded by your kids for ensuring their safety. If you have a teen child then you have a conversation with them and make them understand that if they are using any of these apps, then they have to make sure that they end up doing it responsibly and follow the tips seriously.