How to Protect Your Children from Phishing Scams?
Nowadays, things like phishing are around the Internet world. But what is phishing? Phishing is a technique used to trick users and steal confidential information from them. So far, hackers have used email to apply these technologies. But due to the increased use of social media and smartphones, this type of attack is increasing. In phishing emails, there is a link. If a child clicks on the link, they will log into a confidential website and ask them to enter some personal information. Some kids are trapped and involved in stealing their personal data.
No one wants to fall into the trap of phishing scams. To be sure, such scams will continue to exist as cybercriminals gain huge profits. The best way to protect your children from such scams is to check the source of your child’s email. You should tell your children that no personal information should be provided via email. In addition, tell your children that if they don’t know the source of the email they receive, they shouldn’t click on the link because it might take them directly to the fraudulent website. If your children have a sense of cybersecurity, they can easily prevent phishing, and you don’t have to worry anymore.
Know about the Phishing Techniques
New phishing scams have been developed every day. You should be aware of the new phishing techniques and let your children realize this. If you can detect the phishing scams at an early stage, you can easily prevent it. You should let your children know what phishing is, keep them alert when they are online. And you need to let your children know about various phishing techniques so that they don’t easily provide their information to strangers. In this way, you can also get peace of mind.
1. Email Phishing ScamEmail phishing scams are fraudulent emails that appear to come from individuals or companies known to the victim. It attempts to illegally collect personal and/or financial information from the recipient.
2. Pop up Warning ScamsA pop-up window appears when someone browses the Internet and sees small graphics or advertisements appearing on the screen. Typically, a pop-up window is associated with the content being viewed and linked to another website having similar content or merchandise related to the content. Malicious pop-ups can be very intrusive, making it difficult for users to close pop-ups. These pop-ups may display a message stating that the computer is infected with malware and provides a phone number to help remove the malware.
3. Fake Search Results ScamFraudulent companies often use paid search ads as their “support services,” just as they are legitimate, well-known companies. These paid listings can be displayed at the top of the search results page, which is a primary location. These results may look like real things, and it can seem to be too good to promise support, hoping to lure victims, whose main concern is to fix their computers. Unfortunately, when you click on an ad, malware may start downloading to your device, jeopardizing your information and increasing your computer’s problems.
How to Identify Phishing Scams
Phishing is usually initiated via email communication, but there are ways to distinguish suspicious emails from legitimate emails. The following may be some indication that email is a phishing attempt.
1. Email with Generic Greetings
Phishing emails typically include a generic greeting instead of using the recipient’s actual name. This is a clear evidence for a large number of phishing attacks.
2. Email Request Personal Information
Most legitimate companies do not send emails to customers and ask them to enter login credentials or other private information by clicking on the website link.
3. Email Request An Urgent Reply
Most phishing emails try to create a sense of urgency, causing recipients to worry that their accounts are at risk.
4. Email with Spoofed Links
Hover your mouse over the link to verify its authenticity. Also, look for a URL that starts with HTTPS. “S” indicates that the website uses encryption to protect the user’s page request.
Few Things You Can Teach Your Kids about Phishing
Often, phishing scams come in the form of a letter and seem legitimate, but more and more phishing scams are looking for ways to get to social networks. And they have become more complicated.
1. Examine the message closely.Look for obvious signs of fraud such as poor spelling, unprofessional imagery, and bad grammar.
2. Don’t click in a suspicious email.Do not download attachments in these suspicious email. Instead, open up your web browser and go to the website in question by typing it into the URL bar.
3. Never give personal information.Hang up, look for the number of the company on their website, and call them directly to make sure it was a legitimate call and request.
4. Never call the number the caller provides.When looking up the company website, make sure it is legitimate.
5. Never click on the pop-up.
How iKeyMonitor Helps in Preventing Phishing
There are plenty of reasons to use monitoring software. Be sure to keep your software up to date. New definitions are added all the time because new scams are constantly appearing. Antivirus and firewall settings should be used to prevent phishing attacks and users should update the programs regularly. Firewall protection prevents access to malicious files by blocking the attacks. Monitoring software helps you detect phishing scams.
- Monitor suspicious phishing emails with email monitoring
- Log keystrokes typed in Email with keylogger
- Take screenshots when pre-set alert words are detected
- Block suspicious app and games with the app blocker
If you are a parent who wants to protect your child from phishing, install parental control application on their device, such as iKeyMonitor . After installing the app, you can monitor your child’s online activity. The monitoring logs will be sent to you by email, after which you can find out if your child is at risk. With the spy app, you can easily access social software chat messages and find out who your child is communicating with all day. In addition to this, you can check your child’s contacts and find out if there are people you think are suspicious. If there are suspicious people, you can easily stop them and you will not be detected. The biggest advantage of using a spy app is that you can easily block specific apps and games and receive keyword alerts.