Dangerous Chat Apps of 2021 Parent Should Know
It’s challenging for parents to know about all the dangerous chat apps and keep track of what children are doing on their smartphones. As kids are now spending a large portion of their time on chat apps, it means that they are always in communication with others. Unfortunately, they may keep up with friends using some apps, but that might turn out to be some of the most dangerous chat apps they could be using. So, it is essential for parents to know about those apps.
Table of Contents
Why Do Parents Need to Know about Dangerous Chat Apps?
It is not true that every messaging app that your child uses will harm them or make them reachable by Internet strangers. For many teens, the allure of group and dangerous chat apps like Kik, Snapchat, Ask.fm, Whisper, and many more are quite strong. Usually, teens want to keep up with their friends regularly as not staying in touch can lead to FOMO. At times these apps can make kids feel safer, so they tend to provide too much information and get engaged in other risky activities like cyberbullying. Here are the reasons due to which parents must know about chat apps:
- As all the dangerous messaging apps have few features in stock that are clear indicators for parents that they are not safe for their kids.
- Some of the features present in chat apps like anonymous messaging, the ability to chat with strangers, and self-destructing photos, videos, and messages are a matter of concern for the parents.
- There are certain features of the apps which help your child to hide important things from you, and that could potentially get them into trouble like cyberbullying, and sexting.
- Parents should be aware of various apps as teens who make mistakes while online may be too embarrassed to discuss the subject with parents.
What Are Different Dangerous Chat Apps?
One of the most alarming things about your child, when there are using the internet, is that some of the chat apps on their phones can lead them to online predators, and strangers. When parents are aware of the most dangerous apps for teens like Kik, Snapchat, Ask.fm, Whisper, etc. then only, they can protect them against it. Here is a list of some of the dangerous messaging apps:
This messaging app enables the kids to send group and private messages. It has been considered as one of the most dangerous apps for long. One of the features of the app is that it limits how many recent messages are saved, which makes it difficult for parents to monitor their child’s chats by accessing the Kid’s device directly.
This chat app is also very popular among teens and adults. It allows you to send photos, videos, or messages with a set amount of viewing time, and after the expiry of that time, the user cannot be seen again. Though the receivers can take screenshots of what they are sent it notifies the sender when someone takes a screenshot of the message. Thus, this app is among the dangerous messaging apps for kids, which can act as potentially devastating fuel for cyberbullying.
This is also a chat app which uses a question and answer format for chatting. It allows teens to learn more about their friends all over the world. But there are incidences when teens used this app to abuse and bully others which were made more accessible by the fact that there is no filtration or moderation of the questions that are being asked being asked on this app.
Another top dangerous social media apps that parents will want to know about is Whisper. This app allows the kids to connect in groups based on their interests and location and then confess secrets. Posts in this app are referred to as “whispers.” The anonymous feature and the location-based grouping makes this app dangerous for the kids. As strangers have the ability to message your children directly.
How Can Parents Detect Dangerous Chat Apps?
It is quite severe for the parents to track all the apps that your kids are downloading on their phones. Some of the apps are appropriate, and some apps are inappropriate for the kids. If an app is inappropriate for your kids, then that is a challenge for the parents. There are various apps like Whisper, Snapchat, Kik, which are considered unsuitable for children. The first thing you should do while making decisions about the apps is to know the features of the apps. These are a list of things that parents should do:
- You should know more about the chats by knowing about the app names, icons, and descriptions in the app stores as well as understand their capabilities and uses.
- It is essential to track the activities of the child’s device for parents who want to understand better the apps that their kids are using.
- Using the spy app like iKeymonitor enables you to learn more about what apps your child downloaded and whether it is safe for your child or not.
- You should always take action against questionable features like live streaming, interactions with strangers, and mature content.
How iKeyMonitor Helps You Block Dangerous Chat Apps?
Using a reliable parental control app like iKeymonitor enable you to manage your child’s screen time and remain well-informed. Parents get visibility into what apps the kids are downloading and using. Hence, accordingly, you can take action against any dangerous chat apps like Kik, Snapchat, Whisper, Ask.fm, which are downloaded on the device. These are some of the features of iKeyMonitor:
- The app blocking features of iKeymonitor enables you to block inappropriate or unwanted apps.
- You can also keep track of the time your kids are spending on specific apps.
- Parents will be kept informed about any new app that the child has downloaded.
Therefore, parents can easily keep track of the activities of the child by using spy app like iKeyMonitor to find out which app is suitable for them and which apps can be considered as dangerous chat apps. Only when you are aware of these apps, you will come to know about the potential harm it can cause.