How to Activate Parental Control on YouTube?
YouTube is the most popular video-sharing site. But that’s not all about YouTube. The site is a great source of entertainment and embarrassment for your family. Surprised? YouTube can be your nightmare for your child, especially if he is ultra-curious.
You surely want to safeguard your child from any danger. In the cyber world, dangers come in different forms and one of these involves harmful YouTube content. That is why it is important to know how filthy YouTube videos can harm your kid and how you can deal with the problem.
As a parent, you should play the role of online traffic police. The task is difficult as the World Wide Web is a big highway, much bigger than your farthest imagination. However, you have some options to keep your child safer in the online world.
The Dangers of YouTube for Young Children
If your kid watches YouTube videos during most of his free time, it will distract his attention from studies and extracurricular activities. If that goes for a long time, it will inflict adverse effects on your child’s upbringing. That is why you should educate yourself about the dangers of YouTube for your child and these dangers are as follows:
- Numerous videos on YouTube Kids show school shootouts, suicides and heavy abuse to female characters. On being notified, YouTube has deleted many of these videos but still, there are many that keep popping up. These videos start on YouTube but eventually make a way to YouTube Kids.
- It is human psychology that many of us get attracted and hooked to negative things. Children are no exception to this axiom. In fact, young kids are more vulnerable to such a problem. A YouTube video showing a girl killing herself while singing a song has got over 1 million views will make you realize that these horrific content receive easy attention from adults and kids alike.
- YouTube videos showing characters committing suicide, murdering others in a brutal way and doing other filthy stuff leave a devastating impact on your kid. Interestingly, many of these kids will keep on revisiting these videos times and again. There is no guarantee that some of these kids will not try these at home.
- Not all animated YouTube videos are good and hilarious. In fact, some of these are harmful to your kid. You will be surprised to know that some of these animations showing on YouTube Kids contain terrifying content and depict harmful relationships. Watching these videos will corrupt young minds and sometimes, the adverse effect lingers for a long time.
How to Set up Parental Controls on YouTube
If Safety Mode is turned on YouTube, it will help in filtering inappropriate videos for your kids. As soon as you turn on Safety Model, Safe Search in Google will be activated and as a result, you will gain more parental controls over YouTube content.
Here is how you can set up parental controls on YouTube:
- Tap the Lock icon in the bottom corner of any page in the app. Read and enter the numbers that appear or enter your custom passcode.
- Complete the multiplication problem or read and enter the numbers that appear. Or, enter your custom passcode.
- Select Settings.
- Select your child’s profile and enter your parent account password.
- Tap the “Approved content only” setting to enable.
- Tap Select collections.
- Check the box next to the collections you’d like to make available to your child.
- Tap the back arrow to save your settings and exit.
Note: You can edit the list of collections you’ve approved anytime by tapping Manage under the “Approved content only” setting.
Parental Restriction for Overall iPhone Settings
Your child may share adult content and porn videos with his friends for fun. It will not be healthy for your kid to watch inappropriate content on YouTube as it will cause mood swings in them and even make them feel sad and depressed.
Parental Controls also called Parental Restrictions, allow you to manage the apps, content and features that will be or won’t be accessible to your kid on iPhone or iPad. You have to enable Restrictions in Settings before turning off anything specific.
From your Home screen, launch Settings.
- Tap Screen Time.
- Click Turn on Screen Time.
- Click Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Key a four-digit password.
- Reaffirm the password.
Now you can easily select the type of content you want to block. These may include but are not limited to adult websites, location sharing and app purchases.
How iKeyMonitor Helps in Setting up Parental Controls on YouTube
With the Internet becoming an increasingly unsafe zone for the kids, it is more important to know how to prevent your child from watching harmful YouTube content. Now it is less likely for you to sneak into your child’s room now and then as it will be an intrusion into his privacy. The question is how to monitor his online activities 24×7?
Fortunately, there are some best-in-class monitoring apps to help you in this regard. One such app is iKeyMonitor. If you are interested to know how the apps can help you set up parental controls on YouTube, here is some information to educate you:
- The app allows you to keep a watchful eye on the browsing history of your kid’s YouTube account. The app is developed for parental control. The app is extremely convenient to use. The app is compatible with iOs and Android devices.
- The app helps you track down unhealthy content and take timely actions to dodge dangers.
- It lets you see the titles of the YouTube videos that your kid has watched.
- It enables you to take screenshots of the videos on YouTube.
As a responsible parent, you will definitely want to safeguard your child from watching dangerous YouTube videos. Though these safeguards don’t offer any guarantee of keeping the adult and harmful content is hidden from your kid’s eye, still it is always better to do something than sitting idle.
Category: Learning & How to