How To Set Up Roku Parental Controls
Roku provides access to numerous streaming platforms and channels, but not all content is suitable for all age groups. Using the Roku parental control features, you can restrict access to channels and content that isn’t appropriate for children, and prevent children from adding unwanted channels or paid subscriptions. Here is how to set up Roku parental controls for your children.
Table of Contents
Create a PIN for Roku Parental Controls
By using a PIN, you can restrict children from adding channels and purchasing apps, movies, and shows from the Roku Channel Store. Here are the steps:
- Log in to your Roku account.
- Under PIN preference, select Update.
- Select Always require a PIN to make purchases and add items from the Channel Store.
- Enter and verify a 4-digit PIN.
- Under Parental Controls for The Roku Channel, select Little kids, Young kids, or Teens to require a PIN for the described content. Select Save Changes.
This setting is specifically for content within the Roku Channel.
Remove Inappropriate Channels on Roku
Check the steps below to easily remove inappropriate channels on Roku.
- Open Roku, select the installed app you want to remove on the Roku home page.
- Press the Options button (*) on your Roku remote.
- Select Remove Channel.
- Select Remove to confirm the channel’s removal.
- Repeat the above steps for other channels you want to remove.
Hide Movie Store and TV Store on Roku
Follow the steps to hide Roku’s Movie Store and TV Store from the Roku home page.
- From the Roku home page, select the Settings option from the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Scroll down and select the Home Screen option.
- Select the Hide option on the right side of the screen.
Set Up Parental Controls on Roku TVs
If you have a Roku TV, you can control the content based on the rating of the TV or movie. Check the steps:
- Go to the Roku home page.
- Select Settings.
- Select Parental Controls.
- Enter or create your PIN.
- Upon PIN entry confirmation, you’ll be taken to the TV tuner page. Select Enable Parental Controls.
- Scroll down to the Movie ratings option you want to change.
- Select the rating restrictions you want to activate.
- To block unrated content, including movies, select Block all Unrated Programs.
Limitations of Roku Parental Controls
Although Roku does provide some level of parental controls for the Roku channel, you cannot ensure that Roku only plays content that is suitable for children. Therefore, we recommend that you use a parental control app to monitor your children’s Roku activities to see if they have been exposed to inappropriate content.
Monitor Roku with iKeyMonitor Parental Control App
iKeyMonitor is a professional monitoring and tracking app for mobile phones. It allows you to monitor your children’s activities on Roku and other popular streaming platforms. Here are some key features of iKeyMonitor:
Capture Screenshots on Roku to Detect Suspicious Photos
iKeyMonitor captures screenshots of Roku activities on your children’s phones. You can log in to the cloud panel to see if they have watched adult content.
Record Keystrokes to Know Everything Typed on Roku
iKeyMonitor tracks every keystroke entered in Roku on your children’s phones. You can check the keystrokes to know if they have searched for inappropriate videos.
Get Alerted about Dangerous Activities on Roku
iKeyMonitor allows you to set alerts for inappropriate words on your children’s mobile phones. Whenever the preset keywords are entered in Roku, you will receive instant email alerts.
The above are the steps to set up Roku parental controls. Considering the limitations of Roku parental controls, we suggest you use a monitoring app like iKeyMonitor to monitor the content your children access online. With iKeyMonitor parental control app, you can monitor your children’s activities on streaming platforms and take timely measures when inappropriate content is detected. Sign up and start monitoring!
Category: Learning & How to